Monday, October 24, 2016

Next Step Using Docker for Development

I'm trying to use Docker to build my local development environment on my Mac. (I don't want to have to rebuild my laptop as I try new things and experiment. That usually dirties up my laptop.) To that end, I'm working with two containers to implement different technology stacks for development.

My ideal set up would be to implement my entire developer experience in Docker. I would like to run Emacs out of one container, run tech stack tooling out of another container, and pull my Git repos into the tech stack repos as necessary. (Previously I've written about running GUI apps out of Docker containers on a Mac. Since that writing, I have upgraded to Docker for Mac from Docker Toolbox. Since that upgrade, I have been unable to get GUI apps to run out of a Docker container.) For my current purposes, I am running my tech stacks out of Docker containers, mounting my source code from local folders into the containers, and running Emacs locally.

The first container I created was for .NET Core development. This environment allows me to do .NET Core development natively on my Mac. I'm developing in .NET Core with Emacs. I'm also trying to use Omnisharp with Emacs. Since Omnisharp is a work in progress, I wanted to set up this development environment in a way that makes it easy to blow away and restart. I used the Microsoft supplied development image, and it works great for building .NET Core projects. I'm still struggling to get it to expose ports correctly, both for .NET apps and Omnisharp.

The second container I created is for NodeJS work. I used the NodeJS image to create my container. Right now I'm using this container for running AngularJS 1.x apps, and it is working pretty well. The ports are exposed correctly and I can access the apps externally from the container.

Since this is a work-in-progress, I'm keeping my "notes" in the form of Dockerfiles and shell scripts. These are being stored in this Github repo. This work may be of some use to others as they build similar environments. If nothing else, I should be able to find my previous experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment